Bailey Sanitary Landfill - 5940 Matheson Road
The Bailey Sanitary Landfill services the City of Chilliwack, District of Kent, Village of Harrison Hot Springs, and Electoral Areas "D" & "E" of the Fraser Valley Regional District, (Popkum, Bridal Falls, Chilliwack River Valley, Columbia Valley and Cultus Lake).
Disposing of Large Diameter Clean Wood and Yard Waste Pieces Greater than 150 mm in Diameter?
The Bailey Landfill no longer accepts clean wood and yard waste pieces such as stumps, logs, log cut offs, firewood, and large diameter tree trimmings that are greater than 150 mm in diameter. Click here for alternate disposal options for those types of materials, or visit the link "Disposal Options - Large Diameter Clean Wood and Yard Waste" at the bottom of the page.
Disposing of Drywall and Other Building Materials?
Many building materials used before 1990 contain asbestos and require special handling (refer to list below under Asbestos Waste Disposal). These materials cannot be disposed of as regular waste at the Bailey Landfill.
Customers bringing in drywall are required to submit a Drywall Declaration and Acknowledgement form to the scale house. Forms can be picked up at City Hall (8550 Young Road) or the Bailey Landfill. An example form can be referred to through the attachment "Drywall Declaration and Acknowledgement Form" at the bottom of the page. By signing the form, the customer agrees to accept the full liability for all clean-up costs associated with dumping undisclosed asbestos containing material.
Drywall will only be accepted if one of these conditions is met:
- Clean cuts of drywall without tape, texture coating, mud, or joint compound.
- The drywall is date stamped 1990 or newer (not every piece in a load needs to be date stamped, but at least one piece must be and the load must appear consistent or additional date stamps and/or asbestos testing will be required). Please ensure the date stamp is clearly visible to the landfill operator upon entry.
- Laboratory test results or a hazardous materials assessment report from a Qualified Person indicating there is no asbestos in the drywall. A hard copy of the test results or report is required, must be less than 5 months old, and the description must match the drywall in question. For example, if the description on the test results or report indicates that a piece of drywall with blue paint was tested, the drywall being disposed of must visibly show blue paint.
- The drywall is confirmed to contain asbestos and has been double-bagged in the appropriate 0.15 mm or 6 mil thickness poly hazardous waste bags. Please refer to the attachment "Proper Bag Tying Techniques" at the bottom of the page for more information.
A list of Testing Laboratories and Abatement Companies can be referred to through the attachment on the bottom of the page.
Building Materials Disposal
Commercial loads (gross vehicle weight of 5,500 kg or greater) of building materials are be required to submit a Construction and Demolition Waste Declaration and Acknowledgement form to the scale house. Forms can be picked up at City Hall (8550 Young Road) or the Bailey Landfill. An example form can be referred to through the attachment "Construction and Demolition Waste Declaration and Acknowledgement Form" at the bottom of the page. By signing the form, the customer agrees to accept the full liability for all clean-up costs associated with dumping undisclosed hazardous materials.
Disposing of Asbestos Waste?
Asbestos Waste Disposal
Starting September 7, 2016, the Bailey Landfill will be accepting asbestos waste from the following cities/areas within the Fraser Valley Regional District (FVRD):
- City of Chilliwack
- Electoral Area D (Popkum/Bridal Falls)
- Electoral Area E (Chilliwack River Valley)
- Electoral Area H (Cultus Lake/Columbia Valley)
- Harrison Hot Springs
Residents will be required to present valid identification to the scale house attendant confirming their home address, and contractors will be required to demonstrate in the form of a Manifest that the asbestos waste they are bringing in has originated from a location within one of the listed cities/areas.
Residents bringing in more than 10 bags must notify the City's Engineering Department at 604-793-2907 (Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm) at least 48 hours prior to disposal. The advance notification will help ensure the landfill contractor is able to efficiently accommodate your larger load.
Small loads of asbestos waste from contractors are accepted - up to 10 bags per originating property per day.
Please refer to the "Guide for Home Owners/Contractors" and "Bailey Landfill Asbestos Waste Disposal Procedures" attachments at the bottom of the page.
Common products that may contain asbestos include:
Soffit boards, roof felting, undersheathing
Fireplace box and mantel, artificial fireplace logs and ashes, fire doors, fire blankets
Vinyl floor tiles/sheets and mastic
Drywall mud, plaster, stucco, textured coatings
Candescent light fixture backing (pot lights), heat reflectors
Pipe (mechanical) insulation, furnace/boiler/hot water tank insulation
Vermiculite (blown-in) insulation, spray-applied insulation (acoustic and fireproofing)
Paper backing on fiberglass insulation, asbestos cardboard insulation
These materials are considered suspect asbestos waste. If any of these materials are discovered when dropped off at the landfill, the customer may be subject to a minimum $500 fine per load plus the cost of clean-up by an abatement company, if required.
If you want to dispose of any of these products as regular garbage, you must have:
- Original packaging or date stamps that show your materials are 1990 or newer, or
- A certificate of analysis from an accredited laboratory from the past 5 months that shows the material does not contain asbestos, or
- Written certification from a Qualified Person that the materials were tested and do not contain asbestos
Regardless of the above, all vermiculite will be treated as asbestos waste.
Please note the above list is not complete, there are many other less common products that may contain asbestos. Please visit the attachment “Other Potential Suspect Asbestos Containing Products” at the bottom on the page. If you are bringing in large quantities of any of these materials, please notify the City’s Engineering Department in advance, as special material disposal considerations may be required.
Asbestos waste will be accepted at $175 per metric tonne ($20 minimum charge).
For further information call the City of Chilliwack's Engineering Department at
604-793-2907. No phone number is available to contact the Bailey Landfill directly.
Bailey Landfill is located at 5940 Matheson Road, off Bailey Road.
The following items can be taken to the Bailey Sanitary Landfill for recycling:
- gypsum wallboard (conditions must be met )
- household batteries (no car batteries)
- fridges and freezers
- scrap metal and tin
- wood and yard waste for composting (maximum 150 mm diameter limb size)
- used liquid cooking oil
- propane tanks
- The Municipal Recycling Depot at the Bailey Sanitary Landfill also accepts all items recyclable through the Curbside Recycling Program.
Solid Waste Management Bylaw 2017, No. 4330 bans the tipping of various recyclable materials at Bailey Landfill. The intent of this bylaw is to reduce the amount of waste landfilled each year. Hazardous wastes are also banned from the Bailey Sanitary Landfill.
The following materials are banned from the Bailey Sanitary Landfill:
- hazardous waste
- soil contaminated with hazardous waste
- special waste as defined by the BC Ministry of Environment
- biomedical waste, sharps or infectious materials
- any explosive substance, object or mechanism
- materials that are on fire or above a temperature of 65.5 degrees Celsius
- flammable, combustible or oxidizing materials
- materials that can be recycled through the Curbside Recycling Program
- beverage containers
- trees, stumps or large logs (exceeding 15 cm in diameter)
- wood treated with creosote, petroleum derivatives, etc.
- concrete containing rebar
- materials originating from industrial and/or agricultural operations
- rubber tires
- small appliances or electronic waste
- light bulbs and light fixtures
- motor vehicle bulks, boat bodies, other large metallic waste including farm implements
- carcasses, offal or viscera or agricultural or commercial sources of animal excrement
- semi-solid and liquid waste (raw sewage, septic tank sludge, grease trappings)
- industrial or commercial spools
- any single item larger than 2 cubic metres
- waste oil, oil filters or oil containers
- wet cell batteries
General disposal fees are provided in the table below. There is a fee structure for customers transporting large quantities of waste (> 300 tonnes per month). The complete modified fee structure can be referred to in Schedule "E" of the Solid Waste Management Bylaw link at the bottom of the page.
Disposal Fees At Bailey Sanitary Landfill Effective May 1, 2017
|Type of Material||Fee*||Unit|
|General Refuse or Compostable Waste
(weighing 0-55 kg)
|General Refuse or Compostable Waste
(weighing 56 kg to 5 tonnes per load)
|$89.00||per metric tonne|
(weighing more than 5 tonnes per load)
|$84.00||per metric tonne|
Clean Soil, Rocks, Sod and Small Concrete
|$30.00||per metric tonne|
|Gypsum for Recycling
(without prohibited contamination)
|per metric tonne|
Asbestos Waste (weighing 0-114 kg per load)
Asbestos Waste (weighing more than 114 kg per load)
|$175.00||per metric tonne|
|Permitted Special Waste Surcharge
(Waste Mgt. Branch Min. of Environment)
* rounded up to the nearest $0.25 where applicable
For a complete list of disposal fees and banned material surcharges, refer to Schedule "E" of the Solid Waste Management Bylaw at the bottom of this page.
Looking for other recycling/disposal options?
please notify the City’s Engineering Department at 604-793-2907 (Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm) at least 48 hours prior to disposal. The advance notification will help ensure the landfill contractor is able to efficiently accommodate your larger load.
|Bailey Landfill Asbestos Waste Disposal Procedures||2017-04-04||269KB|
|Construction and Demolition Waste Declaration and Acknowledgement Form||2017-06-07||239KB|
|Disposal Options - Large Diameter Clean Wood and Yard Waste||2017-09-20||250KB|
|Drywall Declaration and Acknowledgement Form||2018-01-09||75KB|
|Guide for Home Owners/Contractors||2017-08-02||244KB|
|Landfill Disposal Fees (Effective May 1, 2017)||2017-04-05||11KB|
|List of Testing Laboratories and Abatement Companies||2016-07-19||39KB|
|Other Potential Suspect Asbestos Containing Products||2016-12-05||108KB|
|Proper Bag Tying Techniques||2016-09-02||261KB|
|Sample Manifest - Transporter||2016-09-08||521KB|
|Solid Waste Management Bylaw||2017-04-05||159KB|