April is EARTH MONTH
APRIL IS EARTH MONTH!
See below for some ways you can get involved. Together we can reduce our ecological footprint and keep Chilliwack beautiful! Also check out the Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Canada's list of Eco-Tips.
Check out the many ways you can get involved to celebrate Earth Month for 2016:
1. March 19: Fraser River Clean Up – Gill Bar, 10:00 am – 1:00 pm. Organized by the Fraser Riverkeeper Society. FREE BBQ lunch included.
2. April 16: Adopt-A-River Clean Up. Meet at Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve between 8:30 am and 9:30 am.
3. April 22: FREE COMPOST GIVEAWAY - 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm. Parr Rd. Green Depot - check out the products created from your green waste! Limit of 1, 30 kg bag per person. Sponsored by BioCentral.
4. April 23: 1st Annual Earth Day Celebration - 10:00 am - 4:00 pm. Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve. This is a free community event by the GBHNR Society with guided walks, educational programs, tree planting, crafts and special guests.
5. Spring Clean Up Programs (Residential Pick Ups and Community Litter Clean Ups ).
A) Residential Pick Ups: Groups pick up bulky items* by donation. Items need to be placed at the street side or curb for pick up. PLEASE discuss your donation with the non-profit group prior to loading to avoid miscommunications. Suggested donations range from $30 to $40 per pickup truck load. Be sure to register with the group assigned to your area by April 15th, 2016.
*Restrictions apply for the pickup of building materials due to the potential for some materials to contain asbestos. To ensure the safety and compliance with the landfill requirements and provincial regulations, these groups will NOT accept any building materials in the loads they pick up. Click here for more information.
B) Community Litter Clean Ups all month long. Non-profit/community groups collect litter along roads, parks, dykes and streams. Help keep the volunteers safe by slowing down and passing them with care
6. All Month: FREE Scrap Metal Disposal! Take your scrap metal** to Bailey Landfill for recycling during regular business hours for the month of April (fees still apply for other materials).
**Restrictions apply for the disposal of pre-1990 hot water tanks and furnaces as they may contain asbestos insulation. More information will be provided at www.chilliwack.com/landfill shortly.
The City of Chilliwack also offers other year-round ways to get involved and help the environment:
Register for Residential Pick Up - Non-profit organizations will pick up unwanted large items / spring cleaning debris for disposal in exchange for a donation.