Did you have trees damaged in the recent ice storm? The City of Chilliwack is providing free tipping for ice storm tree debris at the Parr Road Green Depot located at 45175 Parr Road on Saturday Feb. 25th from 7:30am to 5:00pm only. The material must originate from properties in Chilliwack, contain no stumps or root balls, no pieces over 8” diameter, no painted or treated wood, and no oversized loads. If you have any questions, please call 604.793.2907 in advance.
Illegal Dumping of Yard Waste Harms Fish!
Dumping grass clippings and yard waste in or near watercourses can affect water quality and fish habitat:
- To remain healthy, fish require clean, oxygen-rich water.
- If yard trimmings are dumped in the water, algae and weed growth may increase.
- As a result, the amount of oxygen in the water significantly decreases.
- If the oxygen level becomes too low, fish will become unhealthy or die.
Therefore, it is illegal to dump yard and grass clippings within 30 metres of a watercourse. The Solid Waste Collection and Disposal Bylaw states:
"...No composting or disposal shall be conducted within 30 metres of a watercourse."
Violation of the bylaw can result in a fine of up to $200 per incident.
The Fisheries Act also prohibits the disruption of fish habitat and the dumping of deleterious substances into watercourses.
Streams in Chilliwack are classified according to fish sensitivity. To download a copy of the Stream Classification Map, click here.
- Discard yard trimmings within 30 metres of any watercourse, including ditches.
- Discard yard trimmings on road sides or other public property.
- Report illegal dumping to the City of Chilliwack (604.793.2908) if the dumping is on City property or report to the BC Conservation Officer Service Report All Poachers and Polluters (RAPP) Line: 1-877-952-7277 or http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/rapp/rapp.html. Visit our Illegal Dumping webpage for more information.
Are you disposing of your yard trimmings properly?
Yard and grass trimmings should be disposed of by one of the following methods:
You can sign up for weekly collection of yard timmings though the Curbside Collection Program. Visit our Curbside Collection website for more information.
Parr Road Green Depot
Located on Parr Road, the facility accepts yard and garden trimmings from 8:00am to 5:00pm Monday through Saturday. Click here for fees and information.
Compost yard trimmings and fruit and vegetable scraps to create an ideal fertilizer for your garden! Please visit our composting website for more information. Composters are available at hardware and garden stores, and at the Parr Road Green Depot.
Leave cut grass on your lawn after mowing to return valuable nutrients to the soil. This can also reduce the cost of your yard waste disposal.